When should you call MCFSNB?

MCFSNB strives to deliver quality prevention-based services to help improve the lives of the children and families of our communities. If you believe that we can offer programs, services or activities that would help you, your family or someone you know, please contact us so we can work together.

Frequently Asked Questions

You should call 9-1-1 if a child is in danger and needs the assistance of the police. If a child or youth under the age of 19 is showing signs of being abused or neglected, please contact our intake and investigation team at 1-877-275-6883 ext. 117. If you believe it is an emergency and it is after hours, you can contact the after hours emergency social services (AHESS) at 1-800-442-9799.

https://kidshelpphone.ca : kids Help Phone offers confidential services 24/7 that allows you to connect with a professional counsellor by phone, text, mobile app or through their Website.  You can call 1-800-668-6868 or go to their website: https://kidshelpphone.ca if you want to start a chat.  You will also find an interesting  series of questions and answers from young people posted on the Website. You will also find useful information on a number of issues ranging from bullying & abuse, sex & relationships, friends & family, school & work, identity, LGBTQ2S+ and much more. 

If you are pregnant and looking for help, please reach out to us so we can help support you. You are not alone.Call us at 1-800-543-8611, we can assistant you with prenatal and postnatal concerns.

Yes, please contact us and we can refer you to our Prevention Services Team which include our Youth Coordinators and Mi’kmaq Cultural Coordinators.  

Contact us at 1 800 543-8611 and we will connect you with our Foster Family Team. You can also find us on Facebook at MCFSNB Foster Home.      https://www.facebook.com/fosterhome.mcfsnb 

Child and Family can provide contacts and connect you to local resources related to custody and access. Child and Family does not intervene with custody disputes. Legal matters need to go through the court system.   NB Legal Aid Website:     http://www.legalaid-aidejuridique-nb.ca/home/

Yes, if you should contact Child and Family with any concerns your name and information is kept confidential during and following our investigation.

No, for the sake of the child and family involved, we maintain a high level of confidentiality. A Social Worker will do an assessment on the risk level and based on this assessment, an investigation may occur. At no time do we share any details of this investigation.

A “child” means a person actually or apparently under the age of majority.An “adult” means a person who has reached the age of majority.As defined in the NB Family Services Act. 19 years old is the age of majority.NB Family Services Act Link:     http://laws.gnb.ca/en/showdoc/cs/F-2.2All residents of New Brunswick have a DUTY to report suspicions that a child may be abused or neglected. It is mandatory to report suspected child abuse and neglect of children under the age of nineteen (19).

According to the Department of Social Development NB: https://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/Departments/sd-ds/pdf/Protection/Child/booklet-e.pdf“Child Abuse can include sexual abuse, physical abuse, physical neglect and emotional maltreatment. All types of abuse identified are subject to intervention under the Family Services Act.